Tuesday, October 10, 2006

It's October again...

Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Please remember to get your mammograms... I mean, GO GET YOUR MAMMOGRAM!!! NOW!!! It's no secret that early detection saves lives. Only about 58 percent of American women over age 40 get annual mammograms. Huh? That's just crazy. I'm 31 and I've had 3! It shouldn't take losing someone you love to breast cancer to make you understand the importance. This is the month to do them... many places offer free screenings - just look in your local paper - for free. Free, people, so you have NO excuse!

I met a woman on Friday who discovered she had breast cancer at 24. She has since had double mastectomies and 3 reconstructive surgeries. She told me that she felt the lump but didn't believe it could be cancer because she was so young. So sad. She has 2 daughters who are 8 and 5. I can't imagine what she has been through. She is just one face of thousands upon thousands.

My hope is that all women be watchful over their breasts and do routine breast self examinations every month. That they get to know the size, shape and feel of their breasts, so any unusual lumps can be felt. In addition, that women take interest in seeking information related to the health of breasts. That women over 40 years of age should have a mammography screening every year... sooner if you have a history of breast cancer in your family.

The harsh reality is that it can happen to you and those you love. Do what you can to prevent it.

Angie

No comments: